PAGES

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

How Can I Help My Loved One?

Everyone who has anxiety/depression experiences it a little bit differently. If you have a loved one with anxiety/depression it might be hard to know how to help them. I have found the things that have helped me are support, love, understanding, and conversation. When I am having a hard day, the best thing for Jordan to do is simply be there for me. Just holding me for a minute, giving me a kiss, or telling me he loves me and everything is going to be okay does a world of difference. He shows me he understands by being patient and not judging me. The truth is, he can't just make it disappear, but he can help me to work through it and feel happy and rejuvenated again. There have been days when I was so upset and Jordan felt like he didn't know what to do. On one particular day, he said, "Do you want to go visit your mom?" I said yes, so he drove me to my mom's and sat and talked with my dad while I was able to talk with my mom about things going on in my head. Jordan was able to recognize I needed to talk to my mom on that day. I am so grateful for his sensitivity and love.
The best advice I can give to someone who has a loved one who is suffering from anxiety/depression is to simply love the person and let them know you do. Just being there for them can make a world of difference. Lovingly tell them that you are not going to give up on them and they are going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment