PAGES

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Music


"Music was my refuge." -Maya Angelou

 

At times, music has been my refuge from the storms of anxiety. Music can make the unexplainable come to life. Things that can't be said in words can be made clear in lyrics. On my iPod (I still have a first generation white nano and I am proud of it!) I have a playlist titled, "Chelsea special songs." That is precisely what they are. Each song on the playlist has some sort of special meaning to me or has given me comfort in some way. Each of the songs have lyrics that have helped or touched me in some way. I have listened to these songs over and over and over
again. I've listened in my car, in my room, on the computer, sung them in my head, etc. They have all helped me find refuge.


 

"When I get where I'm going, there'll be only happy tears. I will shed the sins and struggles I have carried all these years. And I'll leave my heart wide open. I will love and have no fear."
"When I get where I'm going, and I see my Maker's face, I'll stand forever in the Light of His amazing grace."- "When I Get Where I'm Going." Brad Paisley featuring Dolly Parton.

 

"I'm trying to hold on, just waiting to hear Your voice. One word, just a word will do...to end this nightmare."
"I know that the night must end and that the sun will rise...I know that the clouds must clear and that the sun will shine...and I'll hear your voice deep inside." -"Endless Night" from "The Lion King" on Broadway.

 

"Since Christ is Lord
of heaven and earth, how can I keep from singing?"-"How Can I Keep From Singing?" written by Robert Wadsworth Lowry. This version performed by SheDaisy.


 

"One day you, you'll find your light again, don't you know? Don't let go, be strong."
"Follow your dreams, be yourself an angel of kindness. There's nothing that you cannot do, I believe in you."- "I Believe in You." El Divo featuring Celine Dion.

 

"Don't give up, it's just the weight of the world. When your heart's heavy, I will lift it for you."-"You are Loved" Josh Groban.


 

"But the giant's calling out my name and he laughs at me. Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed. The giant keeps on telling me time and time again, 'You'll never win.' But the voice of truth tells me a different story, the voice of truth says, 'Do not be afraid.' And the voice of truth says, 'This is for My glory.' Out of all the voices calling out to me, I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth."-"Voice of Truth" Casting Crowns.


 

"I'll keep leaning on my Jesus. I know He'll love and guide and lead us." -"Smoky Mountain Memories" Dolly Parton, performed by David Archuleta.


 

"God gave me you for the ups and downs. God gave me you
for the days of doubt." -"God Gave Me You." Blake Shelton.


 

"Sometimes it seems impossible, that's why we pray." -"Raise It Up." from the film, "August Rush."


 

"I ain't as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better
than I used to be." -"Better than I used to Be." Tim McGraw

1 comment:

  1. These two Hymns have helped me a lot!!

    Why should this ANXIOUS load
    Press down your weary mind?
    Haste, to your Heavenly Father's throne,
    And sweet refreshment find.

    His goodness stands approved,
    Unchanged from day to day;
    I'll drop my burden at His feet.
    and bear a song away.

    ("How Gentle God's Commands" pg. 125 LDS Hymn Book vs. 3 & 4)


    Where Can I turn for peace,
    Where is my solace when other sources cease to make me whole.
    When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
    I draw myself apart, searching my soul
    Where, when my aching grows,
    Where when I languish,
    Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
    Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
    Who, who can understand
    He, only One.

    He answers privately,
    Reaches my reaching,
    In my Gethsemane,
    Savior and Friend
    Gentle the peace he finds
    for my beseeching.
    Constant he is and kind
    Love without end.

    pg. 129 LDS Hymn Book

    I love you Missy!!!

    ReplyDelete